1) Don’t expect any rule to last forever. (Stuff happens, people change and the world changes around you)
2) Change in inevitable. (see Rule number 1)
3) You can’t follow a trend and expect to create successfully. (Trends end)
4) Lead or be led. Be the trend.
5) Just because you’re leading doesn’t mean everyone (or anyone) will follow.
6) You might be on a dead end but you won’t know until you gloriously arrive.
7) Cut your losses! Accept them. Move on.
8) When you master one technology or delivery system or creative platform, another more popular and useful one will emerge.
9) Your dedication to creativity will be tested by yourself, others and current systems.
I started writing some of these down as an exercise in my own creative life. I had already written a series of notes to my daughter Elizabeth but I need to update these for myself. I was/am looking for the next project that would turn on my creative juices. I note these are not carved in stone and may be (will be) modified on an ongoing basis.
I’ll get back to you about this as it develops.